Sunday, November 21, 2010

Capybara Love


Last week as we were looking for parking on our way to The Blanton Museum we had the most magical sighting, even better than a unicorn: it was a capybara! Capybaras are the largest rodents in the world and originally from South America. I have been obsessed with them ever since I first saw one at the New Orleans Zoo years ago.

I found out that the name of this particular capybara is Caplin Rous. Mr. Rous lives in Buda, TX and he often hangs out in Austin with his owner Melanie. Caplin was wonderful. He let me pet him and I also walked him (or he pulled me) on his leash for a little while before he left to snack on grass.

As it turns out, Caplin is an international celebrity, apparently the most famous capybara in the world. He's been featured in Animal Planet and his totally devoted owner has written a book about capybaras named Celeste and the Giant Hamster. For more things capybara go to www.gianthamster.com.

Photo by Melanie Typaldos

No comments:

Post a Comment